25 Oct Parent and Family Members Code of Conduct
Skate Canada and the Nepean Skating Club (NSC) are committed to ensuring that all skaters have the opportunity to participate in a safe and welcoming environment that is encouraging and promotes their overall development.
This code applies to all parents who have a child who is a member of the NSC and their family. Parents shall openly support and uphold this code of conduct and Skate Canada’s at all times while participating in any NSC or Skate Canada program, competition or event.
Parents are expected to conduct themselves in a responsible manner consistent with the values of fair play, integrity, open communication and mutual respect. Parents shall always model positive responsible behaviour and communicate with their child that they expect them to do the same.
Acknowledgement, I hereby agree that I and my family members will:
- adhere to the policies, procedures, rules, standards, and ethics of the NSC and Skate Canada at all times or will be subject to disciplinary action.
- treat all individuals and property with dignity, courtesy and respect, including but not limited to skaters, coaches, officials, volunteers, other parents, building staff and all other individuals who are part of the NSC or Skate Canada. I will also take action and report any acts of bullying, harassment or abuse.
- emphasize the importance of values like sportsmanship, respect, cooperation and teamwork to my child offering praise for competing fairly and celebrating the acquisition of skills and goals. I will also support other club skaters during regular sessions, competitions or events.
- take a healthy interest in my child’s progress and development and ensure my child wears proper and appropriate skating clothing and equipment.
- encourage my child to maintain a healthy balance between skating and life by setting reasonable expectations focusing on development and enjoyment.
- instill confidence in my child’s ability and skill development, always avoiding comparisons with other skaters. I will not ridicule or publicly criticize any skater or coach’s performance.
- remain within sight of my children during their CanSkate or Future Star sessions if they are under the age of 10.
- respect that my child’s professional coach(es) is responsible and empowered for the on‐ice and off‐ice skating development of my child.
- inform my child’s coach of any health issue, injury or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or others.
- refrain from “side line” coaching my child or other skaters from the boards or in the stands during practices and competitions.
- refrain from standing/watching in the designated coaching area (e.g. the player benches, penalty box) unless authorized by the Club.
- respect the authority and decisions of officials during competitions and test days and teach my child to do likewise. If I want to discuss my child’s results with an official, I will ask my child’s coach to approach the official to arrange a time for discussion.
- ensure club, coaching and partnering fees are paid in a timely manner and I agree to educate myself regarding the proper procedures to follow when establishing or terminating a coaching relationship.
- refrain from video taping skaters, other than my child, unless I have received consent from their parents.